Monday 31 December 2018

DAY 2: Fabulous Flora | Activity 1: Weaving a Tall Tale…[4 points]

LI: Would you like to try flax weave? 

There is a long history in New Zealand of collecting natural plants, including flax (harakeke), and using them to create cloaks, baskets (kete), mats, traps and ropes. Flax weaving is an art form. It can take years for people to perfect the art of weaving. Have you ever tried it?
For this activity, you are asked to watch a short video of someone weaving a fish (ika) out of flax

I would like to try flax weaving. The way it interests me is by how you can make a lot of things with it and also you can you it as decoration


For this activity I had to say  On your blog, tell us whether or not you would like to try flax weaving. Does it interest you? Why or why not?

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Fau, it's Billy here from the Summer Learning Journey team.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on whether or not you'd like to give flax weaving a go.

    I am impressed and glad to hear that you are so willing. I think I might get a little bit bored of how repetitive it is. However, I would appreciate the outcome.
    What sort of things would you make?
    I'd love to make (if I could) one of those giant woven mats.

    Have you got anything woven in your home? Remember it doesn't have to be woven out of flax.

    Thanks. Billy.

    ReplyDelete