Friday 18 December 2020

SLJ Week 1 Activity 7 | Optical Illusion

LI: to give an example of an illusion and find out what it is and how it works.

                                        




Today I have completed another Summer Learning Journey activity. This includes the Kick Start and Step it Up challenge.  For this activity we were supposed to find an illusion of our choice and explain how it works.  The illusion I chose is called the "Zöllner illusion". As like all illusions, the purpose of  them are to trick the brain and to help scientists find new insights of how vision and the brain works.  The Zöllner illusion was first invented in the 1860s by a German astrophysicist, Johann Karl Friedrich Zöllner. 

We watched a Video created by Happy Learning English. In the video it talks about how our eyesight works and how our brain can be tricked by the optical illusion. I have also made my own video on how you can create your own optical illusion. 

Before this activity I did not know much illusions, this was a very interesting activity and gave me the chance to find out new things that I didn't know before. 

6 comments:

  1. Kia ora Fau

    Awesome, another great post and thanks for completing both the kickstart and step it up.

    You’ve taught me something new and I’m grateful for that. Keep up the great work!

    Mā te wā,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ben,

      Thank you for the compliments, I am glad you learnt something new!

      Enjoy your holidays!
      Fau

      Delete
  2. Malo e lelei Fau,

    Woah! Your optical illusion is so amazing. It made my eyes trick and I believed that the lines were not parallel but after reading your explanation I understood that I was wrong. Great job, you were amazing. I also liked how you have created a screencastify to show the steps because it makes your blog post more quality and descriptive. You were very wise by choosing to make the design on a google draw and not on paper because I think it wouldn't have looked that effective as it looks now. What did you learn new after completing this activity?

    Fabulous work! Keep it up!
    -Sakshi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sakshi!

      Thank you for commenting on my blog! I can tell that you have been keeping your Summer Learning Journey active. Thank you for giving me compliments about my work. I also think creating illusions digitally are more effective. After this activity I have learnt that the reason we see illusions or the reason why we don't see the true image at first sight is that our brain interprets what we see and makes it make sense to us. How about you, what did you learn from this actvity?

      Hope to see more comments from you!
      Fau

      Delete
    2. Hi Fau,

      Thank you for taking time and replying to the comment as well as for answering my question. That really is an amazing fact! Do you know some other interesting facts that you have learnt? Do you like a specific illusion? If yes, can you share its name? Something new I learnt while doing this task was:

      1. Optical Illusion were first used in Greek and were used in architecture and art.
      2. Magicians use illusions and that is the reason why we end up getting tricked.
      3. There are three types of illusions which are literal, physiological and cognitive.

      Your blog post was amazing!
      Keep up the great work.
      -Sakshi

      Delete