Thursday 17 December 2020

SLJ Week 1 Activity 5 | Kowhaiwhai Patterns

LI: To create a kowhaiwhai pattern to represent summer

                                                 

               

 I have completed the 5th activity for the Summer Learning Journey. This includes the Kick Start and Step it up Challenge. Today I learnt that when it is very hot and the air is shimmering Tānerore performs the haka for his mother, Hine-Raumati. This happens in summer as the land heats up. 

Our challenge was to think about this while we designed our own kowhaiwhai pattern to represent summer. My pattern represents the sea and the land, what I mean by this is that on summer days it is natural instinct to go and enjoy the time outside in the sun acknoledging nature or at the beach to cool down. 

The body of the top half of my kowhaiwhai patter represents the ocean and the blue sky, on hot summer days in New Zealand people tend to spend their days soaking away in the cold blue water. The other half represents the sand, it also represents the nature or outside. As the is shining on summer days children and families enjoy spending time out in the sun going for walks around the neighbourhood or relaxing in local parks/playgrounds. 

5 comments:

  1. Kia ora Fau,

    Your kowhaiwhai pattern is breathtaking. I love that you’ve made it all in colour and mirrored the pattern across the horizontal line. It looks phenomenal, you should be so proud of yourself!

    I also really like how you’ve explained what it represents. I can see the sea and the ground in your work and it’s amazing.

    Was it hard to make? How did you work out your design?

    Because you’ve done such an incredible job, I’m marking it down as an outstanding blog post for some extra points!

    Keep up the incredible work and happy blogging!

    Ka kite anō,
    Shannon (SLJ)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Shannon!

      Thank you for commenting on my blog! I am very happy to hear that I have been given extra points! Thank you for the compliments, I really appreciate it. It was quite hard to find an idea of what I should create with the koru's but seeing different examples I managed to do it. How I worked out my design was first I thought of the theme I was going to use and how I can show it in my deisgn. After thinking for a while I thought I could show symetric patterns and the summer colors. I hope this answers your questions.

      Have you ever created your own Kowhaiwhai Pattern?

      Hope to see more comments from you and your peers!
      Fau

      Delete
    3. Hi Fau,

      Your hard work shines through! It looks phenomenal!

      If you had to make another one, would you include the same sort of patterns or make one entirely different?

      I've never made one, but given how good everyone's look, I'm super tempted to give it a go!

      Bye for now and keep up the great work!
      Shannon (SLJ)

      Delete
  2. Greetings Fau,

    Wow! Your design looks so amazing! The thing I liked the most that you have added different colours which makes the design more attractive. You have nailed it! I also liked the story behind your kowhaiwhai pattern as it makes the design more powerful. Great job for adding a well explained blurb as well! Have you made a kowhaiwhai patter before? When did you make and what was the story behind it?

    Keep up the great work!
    -Sakshi

    ReplyDelete