Tuesday 15 December 2020

SLJ Week 1 Activity 4 | Insect Art

LI: To create a piece of insect art



Today I have completed the 4th activity fro the Summer Learning Journey. Inspired by art creations by Raku Inoue we went outside and collected leaves, twigs, and other plant debris to create our own insect images. Since Panmure Bridge School is not finished yet, we all walked around the entire school to collect what we needed. It took me a while to figure out what insect I should create so I decided to challenge myself and create a butterfly. For the butterflys' wings I used for the top half cut out leaves and the same for the bottom half. I added some detail from small flowers I found on the school fields. This was a really fun activity and gave me the chance to think outside the box. 

Here are some facts of a butterfy:

You may or may not know this but butterflies rely on the warmth of the air temperature. If the air temperature around the butterflies aren't at least 85 degrees farenheit they would not fly. 

Compared to the human eyesight, a butterflys' eyesight can see things we can't. Have you heard of ROYGBIV? R stands for Red, O stands for Orange, Y stands for Yellow, G stands for Green, B stands for Blue, I stands for Indigo, and V stands for Violet. These colors are known as the main 7 colors to the human eye, butterflies can see colors that we cannot. 

Many people assume that the color on the wings of a butterfly is just for attraction but theres many more reasons why. Due to being a small insect a butterfly struggles by being prey to many predators. The beautiful color you see on their wings are used to intimidate predators. 

Did you know that a butterflys' wings are made up of tiny transparent scales? The color of the wings are made from the reflection of the sun in their wings. This is what you call iridescene. Iridiscene is what happens when the sunlight reflects through the multiple layers of scales. Iridiscene can also be seen when blowing a bubble from soap. When you make a bubble from soap you can see many colors spiraling around the bubble. This is what causes butterflies to have color on their wings. 



3 comments:

  1. Malo e lelei Fau,

    Wow! I really liked reading you blog post and the design you made looks amazing! The thing I liked the most about your deign is that you have added different types of materials including various leaves, petals and stems making it more effective. The background colour also make it stand out. I think you blurb is well explained as well, which helps the reader know more about the topic. Same as you, I have completed this task and made a butterfly. I didn't know any fact except the "wings helping them blend with nature". They are so knowledgeable and amusing! Do you know the life span of a butterfly?

    Keep up the great work! I am looking forward for your reply.
    -Sakshi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. I did not know of the work of the artist Raku Inoue. I would be interested in following that up.I thought that splitting the leaf was a clever idea to get a symmetrical look. Interesting that you remember ROYGBIV from the light study this year.
    Your SJJ is off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Fau,

    My name is Shannon and I’m from the Summer Learning Journey.

    You’ve done a fantastic job on your butterfly! It looks incredible! I really like all the colours you managed to find in nature to incorporate in it! Ka pai! I also really like that you’ve included a list of facts! I didn’t know their wings were made of scales! That’s crazy.

    What’s your favourite type of insect? Mine is in fact a butterfly! I love butterflies. I live in Dunedin and we actually have a butterfly exhibit at the museum here. It’s in a super warm room just like your blog says it ought to be and there’s a waterfall through the middle. The butterflies all flutter round freely, and eat from all the flowers growing in there. It’s amazing. I once even had a butterfly land on me!

    If you had more materials, what other insects could you make from nature?

    Keep up the fantastic work!

    Ka kite anō,
    Shannon (SLJ)

    ReplyDelete