Monday 7 January 2019

Activity 3: Flying Fungi [10 points]


In the middle of winter it can get quite wet and damp in New Zealand, can’t it? When it gets really damp, it is common for things like mold and fungi to start to grow. We can often see them on the walls, ceilings or floors of our houses or outside on footpaths, buildings or roadways. Some types of mold and fungi are so small that they can’t be seen. Some of these tiny fungi/molds can be found in the air. They are called ‘airborne fungi’ and they can be unhealthy for us.
Let’s imagine that we tested the air in your classroom and found 7 different kinds of mold. Eek! The cleaner says that it takes 5 days for each mold to be eradicated (removed). If the school had to remove each mold one at a time, how long would it take to remove all the mold from the classroom?

It would take 35 days because 7x5 = 35 and 5x7 = 35. I had gotten my answer by using my multiplication facts.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Fau! It's great to see you keeping up with the Summer Learning Journey. It's a good idea to use the original text because it couldn't have been said better and other people now exactly what is going on. I have the same answer Fau! Good on showing how you did it. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fau! Its good to see that you are catching up with the SLJ activities. I like how you showed your readers the strategy you used to solve the question. How long did it take for you to figure out the answer for the question? I have also done this activity.
    Keep the great work up! - Florence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Fau,
    It's awesome that you've participated in the Summer Learning Journey. It's great that you've completed this activity. I also got the same answer, 35. Did you find the math problem easy, because I did.
    Good Work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings Fau,
    I have decided to comment on your blog. You are doing so well and I hope it continues. What is something you have learned in the summer learning journey? The photo looks gross looking at it.


    Keep it up Fau!
    By Chavda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fau,
    Great to see all your progress!
    Isn't the picture horrible - I don't like mould at all.
    Your answer is correct. Do you like doing maths?
    Any maths tips for me? I'll be a new teacher this year!

    Hope to see more of your great activities
    Take care
    - Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kia Ora Fau,

    My name is Araura and I am from Wesley Primary, I am also taking part in the SLJ.

    For first of all Congrats on the great poat,

    I like be how you were able solve this problem out using Multiplication,

    Do you know any other way?

    Do you know how many weeks it would take?

    Also thanks for adding a photo, It looks alittle gross wouldn't you agree?

    Anyways keep up the good work.

    Blog you later. Bye 😀

    ReplyDelete