Tuesday 24 August 2021

Tuesday Maths Challenge | Distance Learning

 LI: to use the most sufficient strategy to solve your problem. 


Today I completed the second maths challenge of the week, today's question was 'There are 54 students in LS2. If everyone shook hands with each other how many handshakes would there be altogether?' . For this question I would use multiplication. So, 53 x 27. 53 times a student is handshaking every other students hand then multiply that by half the number of students (27). The answer I got was 1431. I used the place value method to check if my answer was correct. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Fau
    You have explained you maths handshakes strategy very clearly. I can see that you have a good understanding of using an efficient strategy and it's great that you checked your answer using the place value method.
    I hope you enjoyed this task.
    Well Done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a teacher in New Plymouth and your blog has been shared in my Manaiakalani course as a great example of what a student blog should be. I can see why they chose you. Your work is interesting, detailed and creative. I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fau.
    I like how you have explained your strategy,
    This reminds me of when I was in a different class, and we would always learn maths by stories! Maybe you could include why you used multiplication next time.

    ReplyDelete